
When my grandmother was here visiting, I had a little chance to explore my roots. We went to Tolman Park. Tolman is my mother's maiden name. This park is named after our ancestors. I thought I would include some pictures for those of you who might be interested, but feel that you live too many states away to come and visit.



We were also able to visit the
Thomas Tolman Family Genealogy Center (we are direct descendants of Thomas Tolman) and see many pictures of our ancestors. It is something I have been meaning to do for a long time and I am glad I was able to experience it with my grandmother and my mother.

We also had a little family bonding time while making a recipe for
Grandma Tolman's Refrigerator Pickles

I, for my whole life, have hated sweet pickles. Blah! But back when we had my
mother's birthday party our friend Kami brought the refrigerator pickles she made from this recipe my mother gave her. I refused to try them, but Kami guilted me into it saying something about my heritage, blah, blah, blah (I ♥ U Kami!). So I tried them and I actually liked them. Here is the recipe if you are interested. It is my great grandmother Tolman's recipe, and it surprisingly easy to make.
Mix in large bowl:
4 cups sugar
4 cups vinegar (white or apple cider)
1/3 cup plain salt (not iodized)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp. celery seed
1 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
In gallon jar (or 4, 1 quart jars) place sliced, unpeeled cucumbers and alternate with layers of sliced onions (about 2 medium onions). Pack tightly in jars and pour liquid over them. Put lid on and refrigerate. They will be ready to eat in 7 days. These can be kept in refrigerator for up to 8 months. Juice can be reused during this time if all the cucumbers are eaten. Needs no processing.
It is funny having these in my refrigerator because I can remember always seeing and avoiding them in our fridge growing up because I thought they looked so nasty.
1 comment:
Hey, Allyson, this is Amy Johnson (well, you know me as Dolton : ) ). I saw your blog through Facebook and I enjoy your ramblings. It's fun to see what everyone is doing nowadays.
Post a Comment