Flashback: October 1996
Flashforward: October 2012
I could not believe my eyes when I opened Facebook today and found pictures like the one above posted by all by Dallas friends. What??? Not Big Tex! This big guy and I go back a long ways. Some of my fondest childhood memories include him. I remember as a little girl going to the State Fair of Texas and Big Tex was always the first thing I wanted to see. We would sit by him and wait for him to greet us, "Howdy Folks! Welcome to the State Fair of Texas!", in his deep cowboy voice. He is the largest icon for the largest state fair in the whole world! He was celebrating his 60th Birthday this year. Not only was he a part of my childhood, he was also a part of my parents childhood when they were growing up going to the state fair. All day long I read posts on facebook of people mourning his loss. A friend of mine went to pay his last respects and he posted this picture on facebook. Someone left a cowboy hat corny dog (we call them corny dogs in TX) bouquet in memory of the big guy.
How appropriate. Look at this picture I found when I was searching corny dogs.
Oh Big Tex, even though the last time I saw you was when I was in Texas during the state fair back in 1996, when I was wearing those way awesome shorts pictured above, I will still miss you and know that the fair will not be the same without you.




No comments:
Post a Comment