So I felt so great last night when my kids were so excited about the fabulous dinner I made. We had my world famous meatloaf and my even more famous garlic mashed potatoes. The kids started freaking out a few hours before dinner when I began my preparations and they realized what it was. The whole time it was baking they were salivating. And then when I took it out of the oven they, along with their father, descended upon that meal like vultures. They kept going on and on and on in muffled tones, what with all the food crammed in their mouth and all, about how delicious and fabulous and wonderful it was. I hadn't seen them that excited over food in a long time. It was a good feeling to know that I had slaved over a meal and made it out of love straight from my heart and it was so gratefully and graciously received.
Contrast that with tonight's meal experience. The other day we were at my mom's house and she had some frozen dinners that the girls were all excited to eat. I never buy frozen dinners. Ever. It was a new experience for them. Yesterday I was at the grocery store and they had some frozen dinners on sale for way super cheap so I bought a few for the kids to eat on nights when Steve and I aren't home. They begged me from the moment they got home from school to let them eat them. I said no. Those were for dinner when I wasn't home to make it. Well I had to take Zac and Em to run a few errands this afternoon that ended up taking way longer than I expected. Steve won't be home from work until late tonight. And by the time I got home I didn't feel like making dinner and I didn't feel like eating anything we had anyway.
So when I announced to the children that they could each choose a frozen dinner to eat, I pretty much got the same excited reaction that I got last night with my meatloaf and mashed potatoes that I spent 2 hours lovingly making.
Yep.....Makes a mom who makes dinner every night feel extra super good.

No comments:
Post a Comment