Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Hills Are Alive With The Sound Of ATV's

Last weekend we went camping in Manti Canyon. It is one of our favorite places to go because it is so beautiful. We had a fantastic trip. Here are some of the highlights.


We were able to stay in our favorite campsite which has a little path leading from our campsite to this lake. You can't get to the lake from any other campsites and I guess a lot of locals park at that campsite when it ISN'T IN USE and walk down to the lake to fish, rather than parking on the other side of the lake like everyone else. One night a guy and his wife pulled up into our campsite and asked if they could walk through to get to the lake. Well, what were we gonna say? It took them about 15 minutes to get their gear ready and then as they were passing right through the middle of our camp they said, "Hey, my brother will be joining us in a little while!" It was after 10 PM when they came back through and spent another 15 minutes loading up to go home. AWKWARD! Here is my sweet Addycakes:

Steve wanted me to include a picture of our first nights dinner because it was so yummy. We had pulled pork sandwiches and asparagus. We have never had asparagus camping before but we had some at the house and I stuck it in some foil, added butter, salt and pepper and cooked it over the coals. It was by far the best asparagus we have ever had and my family gobbled it all up. We might be cooking it that way from now on.

I had to take a picture of Steve, Emily and Zac all sitting by the campfire reading their books.

We spent a couple days riding ATV's. The weather was absolutely perfect. The sun was warm and the wind was cool. Fantastic riding weather.

Taking a break

We rode all the way up above the tree line and the landscape changed from woodsy to big beautiful fields of wildflowers. Then all of the sudden we came around a corner and BAM! The most beautiful lake I have ever seen. The water was absolutely gorgeous, crystal clear blue. This place was so beautiful I just kept taking it in over and over again. I didn't want to leave this place. We did pose for a picture by the "Great Western Trail" sign.

The kids climbed down to play on a huge chunk of snow by the lake

The whole time we were riding through this section, I had this strong urge to throw off my helmet, stand up on my ATV, throw my arms into the air and belt out, "THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUSIC!" I didn't do the first three things, but as Addy, my little riding buddy can tell you, I did do the last thing.

After our ride that day the girls and I went exploring
Steve and Addy

Steve teaching Aubrey to skip rocks

It rained a little our second and third day so we had to eat dinner in the camper.

We were in such a hurry to pack up and get outta town that I only packed necessities. No games. What are you supposed to do in a camper while you are waiting out a rainstorm when you have no games? Addy found some clothes pins and made up her own game of snappy fingers. I'm still not clear on all the rules or the object of this game.

On our second day of riding we passed this beautiful Aspen grove. Addy said it looked like the place where Joseph Smith went to pray.

There were cows everywhere along the trails. The first time we saw some, Addy and I stopped and a little calf came over to Addy. Every time after that when we saw a calf she would say, "Look! There is another 4 year old cow about to turn 5! She wants to be my friend!"

The first time we crossed a stream, Zac got a really bad steam burn on his leg so whenever we crossed one after that, he always crossed like this:

My cute kids!


The End.

No comments: